Welcome to the second installment of Idol of the Week! Thanks to your enthusiastic response to the debut of the series last week, this week we shall be looking closely at popular idol group AOA’s ChoA! She becomes the first female idol to be featured in this series.
ChoA is well-known for being one of KPop’s best vocalists, and has been frequently included in several Top Vocalists Lists by critics. She performs her trademark “ChoA Song” as an introduction, and is famous for both her cute looks and youthful style as well as her trademark short blonde hair.
- Entertainment Company: FNC Entertainment
- Stage Name: ChoA/ 초아
- Full Name: Park ChoA/ 박초아/ 朴初雅
- Angel Name: Choaya
- Nicknames: Cho-omma, Cho Ahjumma
- Birthday: March 6, 1990 (26 years old)
- Birthplace: Incheon, South Korea
- Position: Main Vocalist, Guitarist, Dancer
- Blood Type: O
- Zodiac Sign: Pisces
- Height: 160 cm (5’2″)
- Weight: 42 kg (92 lbs)
- Kpop Group: AOA, subgroup AOA BLACK
- Languages: Korean
- Instruments: Guitar
- Hobbies: Cooking
- Siblings: One older sister, one younger sister
- Education: Inha Technical College, Aviation Business Administration
- Ideal Type: Someone whose overall image is okay. “I like styles that are neat and smart, like Choi Yoon in “A Gentleman’s Dignity.” I look at fashion more than looks. I used to love Ryu Jin sunbaenim a lot.”
- She is the eldest member of the group.
- She plays the guitar.
- Her mother is a skilled piano player.
- She is a fan of Rachael Yamagata, and recommends fans to listen to her songs on rainy days.
- Always dreamt to become a singer since she was a kid.
- In high school, she practiced singing alone at night and went to auditions. Failed her auditions many times (notably 15 times for SM Entertainment) but she didn’t give up.
- She wanted to apply for a music major in university but her conservative father was hoping for her to get a normal job. So she unwillingly enrolled in Aviation Business Administration in Inha Technical College
- One day she bumped into friend and fellow FNC labelmate Juniel and she told ChoA about the audition for their girl group AOA.
- Her parents opposed her dream to become a singer but then gave her the permission since she’s most likely to inherit talent from her mom who majored in piano.
On July 30, 2012, ChoA made her debut as a member of AOA on Mnet’s M! Countdown with the song “Elvis” from their debut single album, Angels’ Story.
On June 12, 2013, it was announced that ChoA would play the female lead, Gabriella, in the musical High School Musical. Her agency, FNC Entertainment, revealed photos of her practising the duet song, “Start of Something New”. The artist said that she wanted to portray her role as sincerely as she could. The musical ran from July 2 to September 1 at Seoul’s Blue Square Samsung Card Hall.
On March 16, 2014, Choa released a solo OST, “Words I Couldn’t Say Yet”, for TV Chosun’s drama “Bride of the Century”, starring fellow labelmate Lee Hongki. This song was included in Destination KPop India’s past article about the Top 20 KDrama Songs, you can read more about it by clicking here.
ChoA appeared as a new cast member on MBC’s variety show “My Little Television”. She unveiled her famous “ChoA Song” on the show and it experienced a huge growth in ratings. She later left the show on May 19, 2015.
ChoA also became a new model for sports brand NBA’s 2015 S/S, along with BIGBANG’s Taeyang. The first few pictures released were colourful and sporty.
On March 25, 2015, it was revealed that ChoA will be one of the permanent MCs for MBC’s We Got Married. She appeared as a wedding guest for fellow labelmate Lee Jonghyun’s “wedding” and sang a wedding song.
On June 6, 2015, she became a new model for part-time job site Alba Heaven with Yoo Byungjae.
On 22 July 2015, it was revealed that ChoA would collaborate with Primary and Iron for the former’s new single “Don’t Be Shy”. The song and the full music video starring ChoA was released on July 24, 2015.
Her music video teaser named “Flame” for her solo debut was released on December 14. The song was later released on December 17, 2015.
Most recently, she participated in the first ever SBS Voice of Inkigayo as a part of Aphrodite along with EXID’s Solji, Ailee, Son Seungyeon and U Sungeun.
Idol Drawing Competition (2013)
Cheongdam-dong 111 (2013)
Hello Counselor (2014, 2015)
2 Days & a Night (2014)
My Little Television (2015)
Car Center (2015)
We Got Married (2015)
Running Man (2015)
King of Mask Singer (2015)
ChoA is known as an explosively powerful vocalist, and her appearance on this show further cemented her reputation as one of the most skilled vocalists in Kpop.
Weekly Idol (2015)
One Fine Day (2015)MUSICAL THEATER
High School Musical (2013) as Gabriella Montez
Like a Cat (2014)
Short Hair (2014)
AOA Best Song for Asia (2014)
Heart Attack (2015)
Ace of Angels (2015)
Good Luck (2016)
Singles (As a Part of AOA)
You can read more about AOA and their discography by clicking here.
Get Out (2012)
Moya (2013) (AOA Black)
Short Hair (2014)
LIke a Cat (2014)
Heart Attack (2015)
I’m Jelly Baby (2016) (AOA Cream)
Good Luck (2016)
Don’t Be Shy (2015) (Primary Ft Iron and ChoA)
2015 That May Be So (2015) (with Jimin)
Flame (2015) (Digital Single)
MBC Entertainment Awards, New Star of the Year (2015)
ChoA has endorsed several brands, a few being “Alba Heaven”, “NBA”, “SPAO”, “Ellesse”, and “True Matte Lipstick”.
Are you in love with this multitalented artist yet? ChoA, we love you!
Hope you enjoyed this week’s installment of “Idol of the week!” Who do you want to see be featured in the series next time? Let us know in the comments below!