Welcome to the 3rd installment of Idol of the Week! Last time, we learnt more about AOA’s ChoA, who also became the first female idol to be featured in the series. Today we shall be looking closely at popular rookie boy group NCT U‘s Doyoung!
- Birth name: Kim Dongyoung/ 김동영
- Stage name: Doyoung/ 도영
- Date of Birth: February 1st, 1996 (20 years old)
- Position: Main vocalist of NCT band
- Label: SM Entertainment
- Chinese name: 金東英(Jīndōngyīng)
- Relatives: Gong Myung (Elder brother, member of KPop group 5urprise)
- Zodiac sign: Aquarius
- Chinese Zodiac sign: Pig
- Height: 179 cm
- Weight: 51 kg
- Blood group: B+
- Place of birth: Guri, Gyeonggi do, South Korea
- Instruments: Flute, Bass, Piano
- Languages: Korean
- Religion: Christianity
- Education: Topyeong High School
Doyoung was born as Kim Dongyoung, the younger son of the Kim family. His brother Gong Myung (born Kim Donghyun), part of the KPop group 5urprise, is elder than him by two years.
Doyoung was very shy during his childhood. He disliked talking too much but was popular because of his cuteness and his sweet singing voice. He has been described as being one of the brightest students in his school who was well liked by teachers due to his consistently great academic performance and attentiveness in class.
During fifth grade, Doyoung started to learn music. He was particularly attentive during music class and often practiced in front of the family garden. Doyoung‘s elder brother, Gong Myung of 5urprise, was a source of constant source of support. As Doyoung was especially interested in playing the flute, Gong Myung sent him to a famous flute player for proper training. The lessons paid off, and he learnt the instrument diligently. He mastered the flute in a short period of time, showing off his dexterity. He later joined the school cultural group and played the flute in various cultural events. He is also known to play the bass and piano.
Doyoung made his debut with NCT U, the main six member subunit of NCT (엔시티). Their name stands for the Hallyu localization project Neo Culture Technology, a term coined by SM Entertainment founder Lee Sooman to describe the group’s concept of having an unlimited number of members divided into multiple sub-units based in various cities worldwide.
The group has been described to be a team in which there are distinctive individuals in dynamic units who can be moved or changed at any time. He is a member of both the hip-hop and band concepts of NCT U, and participated in both of their debut singles “The 7th Sense” and “Without You”, released on April 9 and April 10, 2016 respectively. He also contributed to the Chinese version of the latter.
NCT U made their first official appearance through a Naver V app broadcast on April 9 and 10, hosted by labelmate Heechul of Super Junior. Their debut stage was held in China at the 16th Music Feng Yun Bang Awards on April 9, which also integrated SM Rookies members Kun and Winwin. They made their official debut in Korea at KBS’ Music Bank on April 15.
In June 2016, Gong Myung praised his younger brother during an interview with OSEN, stating, “At first, I was careful about mentioning him… But after articles circulated, many fans discovered that we were brothers.”
He further continued, “I am the oldest son, but my younger brother is the more dependable one. From a young age, he knew exactly what he wanted to do, so starting middle school he would go to auditions after hakwon and managed to get into an agency… Before he debuted, there was a SM Rookies concert, and I went in secret to see it too. Seeing him debut makes me so proud.”
Doyoung has since released a solo OST “Cool” with labelmate Key of SHINee. He has also appeared as a special MC for Mnet‘s M! Countdown and has made an appearance in SBS‘ Dodgeball King. He also realized his dream of becoming a radio DJ when he was the special DJ for Kiss the Radio on July 7, 2016.
Doyoung also participated with NCT members and other SM Entertainment acts in the SM Town Live World Tour V during July and August 2016.
Most recently, Doyoung and Gong Myung appeared as a team on SBS’s Chuseok special “Dodgeball King” on 14th September, 2016.
Accessories: MP3 player and wallet
Actor: Lee Nayoung
Drink: caramel coffee
Food: Cream cheese bread, watermelons, popcorn, mango-flavored treats, white chocolate and peaches
Holiday: Valentine’s Day
Musician: Eric Benét
Scent: Cotton candy
Variety Show: SNL
- Known to be the funniest member in NCT U
- Gets super nervous for the period of interviews.
- Repeatedly passes questions to other members to collect his nerves.
- Relieves stress by jogging.
- His first crush was in the fifth grade.
- If he wasn’t a singer, he would be a baker.
- His dream is “to become a singer that people will want to listen to.”
- Used to be in a high school band called Heart Track.
- Wants to be a guest on Radio Star.
- Groans while sleeping.
- Can sing trot songs.
- Won 1st place at the Gyeonggi Youth Arts Festival in 2013.
- Cast into SM Entertainment in 2013.
- He has a doll named Jippong that he goes to sleep with.
- If he were to have a superpower, he’d want to have the power of premonition.
- Hates cucumbers.
- Wants to try being a radio DJ.
- Confident of his memorization skills.
- Estimated net worth is nearly $2.2 million.
- Known as a big brother in the group.
- Other members rely on him the most.
- Amongst NCT U, he is closest to Taeyong.
- Was a trainee only for one year before debuting.
- Because of his closeness with member Jaehyun, people initially mistook the two to be real brothers.
- He and Jaehyun were both MCs for MBC’s Show Champion before their debut.
- Very close to Hansol.
- Jokes with Jaehyun the most.
- Saved Jaehyun as “Woojae“ in his contacts.
- Wants to duet with EXO’s D.O.
- Admires D.O, even before he debuted. He admires his singing and his acting, as well as the way he speaks.
- Upon first arriving at SM Entertainment, EXO’s Kai was the first person he got to know.
Show Champion (as MC) (February 2015)
NCT On Air (2016)
NCT Life (2016)
Mnet M! Countdown (Special MC) (2016)
SBS Dodgeball King (2016)
Kiss the Radio (as special DJ) (July 7, 2016)
DISCOGRAPHY (As a Part of NCT U)
The 7th Sense (2016)
Without You (Both Korean and Chinese version) (2016)
Cool with Key of SHINee (38 Revenue Collection OST) (2016)
Are you in love with Doyoung yet? Hope you liked this week’s installment of “Idol of the Week!”
Which artist would you like to see be featured next? Let us know in the comments below! The most requested idol will be chosen as our next Idol of the Week!