Before the Concert
- The Play Your KARD Right Tour in New Delhi and Guwahati in India was announced on June 5th. I was not a fan of the group, but I decided to go to the show because KPop idols don’t come to India very often! (This might change soon as ATEEZ and Limitless are rumoured to be arriving this year too.)
- The only KARD song I knew was Oh NaNa. I had the option of “cramming” all their songs in the days leading up to the concert, or going to the show without any knowledge and turning it into a learning experience, and I decided to go without listening to anything to get fresh insight into the band and their music.
- There were three types of tickets available:
- Scouted – Just for watching the show at ₹1800
2. Scouted with perks – Including photo op and hi-touch for ₹3000
3. Rookie – Including an album signing event along with the “Ride on the Wind” album for ₹7000
- Some fans went to the airport to greet the members, and they were grateful to see the fans waiting for them well after midnight. They smiled and waved, and graciously accepted all fan gifts.
Day of the Concert
- The show was scheduled on a Friday at the Talkatora Stadium. The venue can hold up to 3035 people, and is one of the most popular indoor stadiums in Delhi. A couple of posters were placed around the entrance for the fans to take pictures with.
- The schedule for the concert was the same for both Delhi and Guwahati. However, there was a slight delay, and KARD themselves arrived at the venue some time after the fans had already been lined up for a while.
- The entry inside the venue started at 12 pm for the “Rookie” ticket holders, and the album signing event took place till 2 pm. The signing went smoothly, and most of the fans forgot what to say to KARD because they got so nervous!
- The entry for the “Scouted with perks” ticket holders was next, and the photo op and hi-touch went by in a blur! (My friend was lucky enough to stand next to B.M)
- Finally, the entry for the “Scouted” ticket holders started at 4pm. I got my ticket, wristband, and a media pass because I was reviewing the concert for Pink Box events, the organisers.
- We waited for a few minutes in the hall while KARD’s music videos were played on the screen. I had an excellent view of the stage. The hall was full of nervous energy just before the concert started.
- The organisers introduced the head of the Korean Cultural Center India (KCCI), who have been single-handedly responsible for bringing KPop bands in India ever since N-Sonic in 2014. This was followed by the singing of both the Indian and the Korean national anthem.
- The host hyped up the crowd and KARD’s introductory video was played. The entire stadium erupted with cheers of K.A.R.D!
- Even though unfortunately the show hadn’t been completely sold out, the hall managed to look pretty packed. The majority of the concert attendees were girls in their teens and twenties. Many parents accompanying their children were also present.
- KARD arrived on stage to DEAFENING screams. It was like a nuclear bomb had went off in the auditorium! They were taken aback by the insanely loud cheering. They opened the concert with Don’t Recall. Their energy was off the charts and their synchronisation was unbelievable.
- They immediately launched into a performance of Oh NaNa. I enjoyed this performance the most because this was the only song I was vaguely familiar with. The fans knew all the fan chants and their glow sticks, posters, and swirling lights filled up the hall!
- This was followed by Ride on the Wind. This song was one of the most well received of the night, and they delivered a flawless performance.
- They introduced themselves individually to the audience. Everybody screamed when they spoke Hindi, and the guys seemed delighted by the enthusiastic response. B.M interacted with us the most as he was the only English speaker, but J.Seph also tried to communicate with the audience to the best of his ability. He was goofy and adorable, and very playful with the fans. Somin and Jiwoo were very shy and looked nervously around the hall, trying to take it all in, but they became more comfortable and mellowed out as the concert progressed.
- They performed You In Me next, and I was especially impressed by Jiwoo’s stable vocals and B.M’s dancing skills and insane charisma. J.Seph spat out his rap verses at lightning speed, and Somin was the most energetic and receptive to the fans’ reaction.
- Rumor was up next, and it was also a fan favourite of the night. Everybody danced along standing at their seats, and even the security personnel seemed entranced!
- A Q and A session was up next. The members answered questions about their future plans (to keep on making music until they die), when they plan to return to India (whenever we call them back), who is the biggest eater in KARD (Somin pointed to J.Seph, who first pointed to the audience next to him, then pointed out to their manager standing down the stage lmao), and so on and so forth.
- Next, B.M danced to Bom Diggy Digggy, a very popular Bollywood song. The screaming was so loud that I saw a cameraman flinch in surprise.
- The Q and A session continued. Somin chose chicken curry, tandoori chicken, and naan as her favorite Indian food. B.M named the fans as his turning point in life, and J.Seph said that he found the optimism and positivity of Indian fans to be very charming.
- They performed Hola Hola up next, and this has since become my favorite KARD Song! The performance was airy, cheerful and effortless.
- J.Seph sang a few lines of Tujhme Rab Dikhta Hai, a famous Bollywood song, at the fans’ request. He panicked initially and tried to persuade the other members to sing with him, but then he bravely sang all by himself. He was visibly touched when everybody sang along with him for a second time. B.M said that J.Seph was honoured that we sang with him, even though it wasn’t his own song. Somin and Jiwoo could not stop laughing at the boys’ antics, it was hilarious!
- Next up, they performed Knockin’ On My Heaven’s Door. This was a memorable performance for me because I particularly loved the choreography for this song.
- One of my favourite performances of the night was of an unreleased song called Gidd Up. They were bursting with energy and dominated the stage!
- Thirty two of the “Rookie” ticket holders were chosen randomly for playing simple games with the group like arranging cups in the shortest time, and blowing balloons to knock over cups. A notable moment was B.M blowing a balloon hard enough to make it pop! It was hysterical.
- A video by fans from all over India leaving them supportive messages was shown to KARD as a surprise, and they were very moved by the fans’ sincerity. B.M said that they had been to many countries all over the world, but it was the first time that people from all the states of a country had left them a video like that. All the members thanked us and J.Seph was nearly in tears again.
- A really smooth and elegant performance of Dímelo was up next.
- They performed Mi Gente next, and you could really see them shine on stage in this one.
- The last song of the night was their newest single Bomb Bomb. People had been waiting all night for them to perform this song, and it received a thunderous applause!
- They quickly left the stage afterward, and people began to leave. Suddenly the host came out of nowhere and told the fans to stay and request an encore from KARD by saying, “We played our KARD right!”. The entire hall screamed this line as loudly as they could and KARD returned on stage and performed an encore of Ride on the Wind.
- After this encore, things went crazy and everybody rushed down their seats and gathered right in front of the stage and KARD performed an encore of Bomb Bomb, this was by far my favourite moment of the night! The entire stadium was jumping up and down together and B.M kept on throwing water at us! All of us were soaked by the end, and it was out of control. The organisers warned us to stay safe, and thankfully nobody got hurt.
- The final song of the night was the encore of Living Good. Everybody went crazy and Jiwoo took the fans’ phones and took a lot of pictures, she also came really close and shook the fans’ hands. This was the best moment of the night! I took a lot of close up shots of them and it was surreal seeing them so near. All of them looked flawless.
- They concluded the concert saying that the Delhi concert was the best and they could really feel the crowd’s energy. They thanked us and promised to come back to India soon.
- I became a Hidden KARD after attending this concert and realising that KARD are amazing performers. Their energy on stage was unmatched, and their charisma was downright insane. They OWNED the stage. It was brilliant and I was so glad that I went after all.
- KARD posted this picture on their SNS after the concert ended, and B.M and Somin posted Instagram stories thanking the Delhi fans.
TLDR: The concert was excellent and KARD put upon a flawless performance with overflowing charisma and endless energy, Jiwoo has extremely stable vocals, and it was hard to tear eyes off B.M. Somin is good at everything, and J.Seph is a cute goofball. I highly recommend everyone to watch KARD in concert at least once in their lifetime!