What are the plans of some of the biggest agencies in Korean entertainment for the upcoming new year? SM, YG, JYP, FNC, Big Hit and Pledis Entertainment gave fans some insight into their upcoming planned activities!
1. SM Entertainment— “TVXQ and Super Junior to be discharged from the military, re-establish the golden lineup.”
- The legendary duo of Changmin and Yunho of TVXQ, and five Super Junior members Shindong, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Donghae, and Siwon will be discharged from the military starting late this month. The re-establishment of the “Golden lineup” is one of the most anticipated events of 2017.
- SM’s new act NCT won the “Best Male Rookie Award” this year and plan to continue their activities as NCT 127.
- Iconic first generation girl group S.E.S comprising of Bada, Eugene and Shoo is set to have a comeback.
- SM’s quadruple million sellers and consecutive daesang winners EXO have multiple activities planned.
- There are no debuts planned for SM.
2. YG Entertainment— “From SECHSKIES to BLACKPINK, planning on a packed schedule.”
- BIGBANG will not have any group activities scheduled after T.O.P‘s military enlistment in February.
- Akdong Musician is set to comeback on January 3.
- First generation idol group Sechs Kies will be releasing new songs in addition to conducting encore concerts in January and April.
- WINNER will return as a four-member group with a Korean album in 2017, as will iKON, who have been doing well in Japan.
- YG’s newest girl group BLACKPINK will also be releasing new music.
- PSY and Epik High will also be working on new music.
3. JYP Entertainment— “Suzy’s solo debut, GOT7 and TWICE to continue their generational shift.”
- GOT7 and TWICE, who have successfully led in a new generation for JYP will continue both domestic and overseas activities in 2017.
- miss A’s Suzy has a solo debut planned for January.
- 2PM members will continue with a wide range of activities including dramas and concerts till their military enlistment dates.
- Baek Ahyeon, Baek Yerin, and Park Jimin are also set to be active next year.
- DAY6 plans to grow even more in 2017 with more activities.
- JYP does not have any new debuts planned.
4. FNC Entertainment — “AOA to comeback in January with their first full-length Korean album, the company to branch out into drama production.“
- Despite a troublesome 2016 for FNC Entertainment, CEO Han Sungho is looking forward to a better future for the company.
- AOA is scheduled to release the group’s first ever full-length Korean album. AOA’s album release will be the first agenda on FNC’s 2017 calendar.
- The company also plans to branch into drama production.
5. Big Hit Entertainment— “BTS’s global leap, low chances of a new group debut.”
- BTS has been on a high this year, breaking various domestic and international records. In 2017, BTS will keep branching out globally. Starting in February, the group will embark on their “Wings” world tour, and the members will be creating new music.
- The members will also be taking on individual activities, with V currently appearing in KBS 2TV’s new drama “Hwarang,” while others like Rap Monster and Jungkook focusing on variety shows.
- The possibility of debuting another boy band is slim. Big Hit Entertainment stated, “Though we are in preparations for another group, nothing has been set in stone.” Producer Bang Shihyuk also stated in an interview in November that, “Nothing has been decided yet.”
6. Pledis Entertainment— “SEVENTEEN and Han Donggeun to stay active, Pledis Girlz to debut.”
- SEVENTEEN won the “Best Male Rookie Award” last year, and they plan to continue with their activities by holding their first official fan meeting in February. Following that, they will hold six concerts in Japan. They will also work on new music and stay active throughout the year.
- Pledis Girlz will hold a concert in January as the last event before their official debut, where they will also be announcing their official group name. With the addition of Lim Nayoung and Zhou Jieqiong, who will have wrapped up their I.O.I activities by then, the group will make their debut in the first half of 2017.
- Han Donggeun will be releasing a new studio album in the first half of 2017.
- After School members like UEE and Nana will be focused on their individual activities.
- NU’EST will be conducting numerous group as well as individual activities.
Which agency will emerge on top in 2017? We can’t wait to find out!